About Greenplum Workload Manager
Greenplum Workload Manager is a management tool for Greenplum Database you can use to monitor and manage queries.
You can use Greenplum Workload Manager to perform tasks like these:
- Monitor Greenplum Database queries and host utilization statistics
- Log when a query exceeds a threshold
- Throttle the CPU usage of a query when it exceeds a threshold
- Terminate a query
- Detect memory, CPU, or disk I/O skew occurring during the execution of a query
- Create detailed rules to manage queries
Greenplum Workload Manager is a set of Greenplum Database-specific plugins deployed on an extensible Pivotal framework. All of the application logic is isolated in these plugins. Workload Manager provides the following plugins:
- Publish information about active Greenplum Database queries
- Publish information about postgres processes
- Advertise query termination capability
- Advertise query throttling capability
- Advertise threshold logging capability
Configuration management plugins:
- Query the state of the Greenplum Database cluster periodically
- Inform the framework of the Greenplum Database cluster state and size allowing
gp-wlmto automatically grow when the database is expanded.
- Deploy configurations throughout the cluster.
Command-line interface plugins:
- Add, modify, or delete rules
- Monitor queries and skew
Rules engine plugins:
- Provide extended functionality used during rules creation
The runtime framework loads these plugins at execution time.